Vivo has made a mark in the smartphone industry over the last few years. This brand is known for producing affordable yet high-quality smartphones. Recently, Vivo announced the 5G version of the V21 known as the Vivo V21 5G. In this post, we will look at the price of this device and whether there are other upgrades to its specs.
Price of Vivo V21 5G in South Africa
As of the time of writing this post, the Vivo V21 5G is yet to get into South Africa. While we await its arrival, we decided to check the figures available online to come up with a price estimate. Based on our research, we project that the Vivo V21 5G should cost between R$5,580 and R$6,480 in South Africa.
Vivo V21 5G Specs at a Glance
- Launched: 2021, April 27
- Size: 7 x 73.9 x 7.3 mm (6.29 x 2.91 x 0.29 in)
- Number of SIMs: Hybrid Dual SIM (Nano-SIM, dual stand-by)
- Networks: 2G (GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900 – SIM 1 & SIM 2), 3G (HSPA 850 / 900 / 1700(AWS) / 1900 / 2100), 4G (LTE 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 8, 34, 38, 40, 41), 5G (78 Sub6)
- Operating system: Android 11, Funtouch 11.1
- Display size: 44 inches, 100.1 cm2(~84.8% screen-to-body ratio)
- Display type: AMOLED, 90Hz, HDR10+, 500 nits (typ)
- Resolution: 1080 x 2400 pixels, 20:9 ratio
- PPI density: 409 PPI density
- CPU: Octa-core (2×2.4 GHz Cortex-A76 & 6×2.0 GHz Cortex-A55)
- Chipset: MediaTek MT6853 Dimensity 800U 5G (7 nm)
- GPU: Mali-G57 MC3
- RAM: 8GB
- Internal memory: 128GB and 256GB
- Memory card: microSDXC (uses shared SIM slot)
- Main camera: 64 MP, f/1.8, 26mm (wide), 1/1.72″, 0.8µm, PDAF, OIS 8 MP, f/2.2, 120˚, 16mm (ultrawide), 1/4.0″, 1.12µm 2 MP, f/2.4, (macro)
- Camera features: LED flash, HDR, panorama
- Video specs: [email protected] (no OIS), [email protected]/60fps
- Selfie camera: 44 MP, f/2.0, (wide), AF, OIS
- Selfie video specs: [email protected] (no OIS), [email protected]
- Earphone jack: No
- Speaker: Yes
- Sensors: Fingerprint (under display, optical), accelerometer, gyro, proximity, compass
- USB: USB Type-C 2.0, USB On-The-Go
- Radio: No
- NFC: No
- GPS: Yes, with A-GPS, GLONASS, GALILEO, BDS
- Bluetooth: 1, A2DP, LE
- WLAN: Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac, dual-band, Wi-Fi Direct, hotspot
- Battery type: Li-Po 4000 mAh, non-removable
- Charging: Fast charging 33W, 63% in 30 min (advertised)
- Colors: Dusk Blue, Sunset Dazzle, Arctic White
Vivo V21 5G Review
Vivo announced the Vivo V21 5G as the 5G version of the Vivo V21. The question is, “asides from the 5G capability of this device, does it present any other upgrades?” To find out, we have to check out its different key features and we will be doing that in this section.
Display and Design
Vivo is known to invest sufficiently in the display and design of its smartphones. The main reason behind this is that this company believes that its unique designs are deciding factors in selling its devices. So what does Vivo infuse into the design of the V21 5G?
If you have seen the V21 from this company, then you will agree that its successor is no different in its design. Both smartphones feature the same design, about the same weight, and even dimensions. The Vivo V21 5G weighs 176 grams and its dimensions in millimeters is 159.7 x 73.9 x 7.3.
From its weight and dimensions, it is clear that this device is very portable, just like its predecessor. It comes in an ergonomic design making it easy to hold the smartphone for several hours with ease. The rear panel of this device also features a mix of scratch-resistant glass and metal. With this, you are assured that this device is very durable and you wouldn’t have to deal with stains or scratches.
How does this smartphone look in front? Vivo equips the Vivo V21 5G with an FHD+ AMOLED display. The display is 6.44 inches long and boasts a resolution of 1080 x 2404 pixels. The display also comes with a refresh ratio of 90Hz and an aspect ratio of 20:9. Finally, just beneath the display is the fingerprint scanner. This comes in handy for ensuring the security of your data within the device.
The cameras of a smartphone are very important components because of the functions that they perform. Most smartphone users first check the capacity of the cameras before they invest in a device. Vivo has a reputation for doing a great job with the cameras of its devices. The cameras in this device are no different.
Vivo places a rectangular camera module on the rear panel of the Vivo V21 5G. This camera module features a triple camera setup with the primary camera packing 64 megapixels. It also features an ultra-wide camera that packs 8 megapixels and a macro camera that has 2 megapixels. This is exactly what is obtainable in the predecessor of this device.
In front, Vivo packs a 44-megapixel selfie camera. This camera is equipped with OIS and a dual-LED flash. As such, it promises amazing photos and is capable of shooting 4K videos. The LED flash is of very high quality so that you can shoot bright photos and videos regardless of the light in the surrounding environment.
Software and Hardware
The software and hardware of any device are at the core of its performance. As such, Vivo invests judiciously in the software and hardware of the Vivo V21 5G. Interestingly, there isn’t much difference between this device and its predecessor in this regard. Where there is a difference is the fact that this device is powered by a 5G-enabled chipset.
This device comes in two internal memory variants. They are 128GB and 256GB with both featuring 8GB RAM. The Vivo V21 5G runs on Android 11 that is based on the Funtouch 11.1 user interface. If you are not satisfied with the internal storage space, you can always add a microSD card into the dedicated slot.
This device packs a 4000mAh battery that is equipped with 33 watts of fast charging. With this, you are assured of several hours of talk and standby time. Vivo advertised that the device can charge from 0% to 63% in just 30 minutes.