Toyota has a wide range of products including the Highlander. The Toyota Highlander 2012 is one of the high-ranking vehicles in its class. This mid-size SUV comes with a spacious cabin, high safety scores, and a quality infotainment system. It promises a comfortable ride, especially because of the legroom space and the material used in making the seats.
Some of the things that experts like about the Toyota Highlander 2012 include its fuel economy and good manoeuvrability. However, the car is quite slow in its acceleration, especially for the base trim. That being said, how much does a Toyota Highlander 2012 cost in South Africa? This post will answer this question so let’s dive straight in.
Toyota Highlander 2012 Price in South Africa
Experts regard the Toyota Highlander 2012 as a top mid-size SUV. However, they believe that it should have been equipped with a more powerful engine. Regardless, some trims come with a more powerful V6 engine. This car is generally reliable with good manoeuvrability and lower maintenance costs when compared to other cars in its class.
When you consider this car’s high rankings, you are tempted to believe that it costs so much. It is no secret that Toyota presents us with very affordable vehicles and the Highlander 2012 is no different. We have surveyed the market on your behalf and the sections below will show you the price of the car in South Africa.
Toyota Highlander 2012 Price in South Africa – Tokunbo
Tokunbo vehicles are also known as “foreign-used” cars. These cars are the closest you have to new vehicles and are generally more reliable. They are costlier than South African-used cars and you can purchase them from a variety of sources. Here’s how much a tokunbo Toyota Highlander 2012 costs in South Africa:
- Toyota Highlander 2012 (Tokunbo): ZAR$277,620 – ZAR$392,369
Toyota Highlander 2012 Price in South Africa – South African-used
The cars in this category are more affordable but less reliable. You should always inquire about their history and current condition before purchasing. Your best bet is to inspect the car with the help of a trusted mechanic before you pay. That being said, check out the cost of a South African-used Toyota Highlander 2012 below:
- Toyota Highlander 2012 (Nigerian-used): ZAR$222,096 – ZAR$307,233
PRICES LAST UPDATED: MAY 3, 2022.
Frequently Asked Questions About Toyota Highlander 2012
This section will focus on providing answers to frequently asked questions about the Toyota Highlander 2012. Check them out below:
Which is better, a Tokunbo or South African-used Toyota Highlander 2012?
The answer to this question is relative. If you are buoyant enough, then shelling out money for a tokunbo Toyota Highlander 2012 is worth every naira. This class of vehicles presents you with fewer concerns and more reliability. On the other hand, if you are looking for something more affordable, then a South African-used version may suit your purposes. South African-used cars are cheaper though they may come with underlying problems.
How reliable is the Toyota Highlander 2012?
One of the things that you should be worried about when buying a car is how reliable the car is. Experts claim that the Toyota Highlander 2012’s reliability rating when compared to other cars in its class is above average. According to J.D. Power, its reliability rating is four out of five.
Have there been any Toyota Highlander 2012 recalls?
Car companies recall their products if there have been complaints or they notice some malfunctions that should be corrected. Toyota has recalled the Highlander 2012 twice. On one of the occasions, it was because of the occupant sensing system calibration. According to reports, this malfunction can affect the deployment of the front passenger airbag. The reason for the second recall was inaccurate load capacity labels. Ensure that you check any Toyota Highlander 2012 to be sure that both issues have been fixed before purchase.
Which Toyota Highlander 2012 trim is best?
Again, this is another question with a relative answer. Toyota Highlander 2012 comes in three trims namely Base, SE, and Limited. In the base trim level, you have a six-speaker audio system, cloth upholstery, and air conditioning in the front and rear parts of the car.
Experts recommend that you go for the SE trim because it is the perfect combination of value and features. It has leather upholstery, satellite radio, heated side-view mirrors, heated front seats, a 3.5-inch multi-information display, and a USB port. The Limited trim, on the other hand, comes with all the standard features along with perforated leather seats, push-button start, and tri-zone automatic climate control.
Toyota Highlander 2012 Technical Specifications
- Body Style: 4 Door
- Drivetrain: Front Wheel Drive
- EPA Classification: Sport Utility Vehicle
- Passenger Capacity: 7
- Passenger Volume (ft³): 7
- Base Curb Weight (lbs): 3946
- EPA Fuel Economy Est – City (MPG): 20 (2011)
- EPA Fuel Economy Est – Hwy (MPG): 25 (2011)
- Engine Type: Gas I4
- Displacement: 7L/163
- Fuel System: Electronic Fuel Injection
- SAE Net Horsepower @ RPM: 187 @ 5800
- SAE Net Torque @ RPM: 186 @ 4100
- Trans Description Cont.: Automatic
- Suspension Type – Front: Independent
- Suspension Type – Rear: Independent
- Front Tire Size: P245/65R17
- Rear Tire Size: P245/65R17
- Spare Tire Size: P245/65R17
- Front Wheel Size (in): 17 x 7.5
- Rear Wheel Size (in): 19 x 7.5
- Front Wheel Material: Aluminum
- Rear Wheel Material: Aluminum
- Brake ABS System: 4-Wheel
- Disc – Front (Yes or): Yes
- Disc – Rear (Yes or): Yes
- Rear Brake Rotor Diam x Thickness (in): 2 x – TBD –
- Fuel Tank Capacity, Approx (gal): 2
- Wheelbase (in): 8
- Length, Overall (in): 4
- EPA Greenhouse Gas Score: 5 (2011)
- Fuel Economy Est-Combined (MPG): 22 (2011)
- Dead Weight Hitch – Max Trailer Wt. (lbs): 1500
- Dead Weight Hitch – Max Tongue Wt. (lbs): 150
- Trans Type: 6
- First Gear Ratio (:1): 30
- Second Gear Ratio (:1): 90
- Third Gear Ratio (:1): 42
- Fourth Gear Ratio (:1): 00
- Fifth Gear Ratio (:1): 71
- Sixth Gear Ratio (:1): 61
- Reverse Ratio (:1): 15
- Final Drive Axle Ratio (:1): 36
- Tons/yr of CO2 Emissions @ 15K mi/year: 5 (2011)
- Maximum Alternator Capacity (amps): 150
- Total Cooling System Capacity (qts): 0
- Stabilizer Bar Diameter – Front (in): 02
- Stabilizer Bar Diameter – Rear (in): 55
- Spare Wheel Size (in): 17 x 7.5
- Spare Wheel Material: Aluminum
- Steering Type: Pwr Rack & Pinion
- Steering Ratio (:1), Overall: 1
- Lock to Lock Turns (Steering): 1
- Turning Diameter – Curb to Curb (ft): 7