Samsung seems to really be in the mood to flood the smartphone market this year. The classic smartphone brand has wowed the market with lovely mid-range phones over the past months. Of these smartphones, the Galaxy A50 rates among the very best and offers a stimulating string of first-class features without stressing the pocket.
Based on user reviews and reports, we will consider Galaxy A50’s core specifications and how much it goes for in the current market in South Africa.
Price of Samsung Galaxy A50 in South Africa
The Samsung Galaxy A50is one of the most expensive of the Samsung A Series. While it still falls within the mid-range category, it is a little more expensive than most other smartphones in the series. The smartphone can be purchased for anything between R$4,680 and R$5,760 depending on the place and period of purchase. Also, the currency exchange rate at the period has an effect on the eventual prices the smartphone goes for.
Samsung Galaxy A50 Specs
- Release date: February 2019
- Operating system: Android 9.0 (Pie)
- Screen Size: 6.4 inches, 100.5 cm2 (~84.9% screen-to-body ratio)
- Display: 1080 x 2340 pixels, 19.5:9 ratio (~403 ppi density)
- RAM: 4 GB/ 6 GB
- Internal memory: 128 GB/ 64 GB; microSD, expandable up to 1 TB (dedicated slot)
- Processor: Octa-core (4×2.3 GHz Cortex-A73 & 4×1.7 GHz Cortex-A53)
- Networks: GSM / HSPA / LTE
- Main Camera: Triple – 25 MP, f/1.7, 26mm (wide), PDAF 8 MP, f/2.2, 13mm (ultrawide); 5 MP, f/2.2, depth sensor
- Front Camera: 25 MP, f/2.0, 25mm (wide), front shooter for selfie
- Battery: Non-removable Li-Po 4000 mAh battery; fast charging 15W
- Other Specifications: Fingerprint (under display), accelerometer, gyro, proximity, compass, ANT+
Samsung Galaxy A50 Review
Body and Design
Samsung Galaxy A50 follows the set trend of A-series in terms of design. You wouldn’t be wrong to rate it among the finest of the A-series released in 2019. Thanks to its curved back and relatively light build, it offers outstanding feel when held in the hand. The facia is subjugated by a stunning, edge-to-edge display with a u-shaped nick on top.
The display of the smartphone is one of the standout features that rate it among the very best in its category. The phone features an Infinity-U SuperAMOLED screen that just looks remarkable. It boasts a full HD+ resolution with 19.5:9 aspect ratio. The screen is lovely, sharp and seems well regulated. Everything looks decent on the screen and you can comfortably use the phone whether you are inside or outside.
Operating System and Processor
The Samsung Galaxy A50 runs on the unique Exynos 9610 chipset. Samsung’s in-house designed chip is based on 10nm FinFET process and includes octa-cores separated into two quad-core groups. While one cluster has Cortex-A73 cores which runs at 2.3GHz, the other cluster has all Cortex-A53 CPUs running at 1.7GHz.
The chipset is joined with Mali G72MP3 GPU to satisfy user’s graphics requirement. The Galaxy A5 comes in two different models – the base model featuring an appreciable 4 GB of RAM with 64 GB internal memory and the other model features 6 GB of RAM and 128 GB internal storage.
The Galaxy A50 features a triple camera setting which marks one of its major highpoints. Samsung again chose a 25MP primary sensor (f/1.7 aperture) which is fixed with a 5MP sensor (f/2.2 aperture) and an 8 MP wide-angle sensor (f/2.2 aperture). For selfie lovers, there is also an exciting 25MP camera (f/2.0 aperture).
Galaxy A50 boasts a standard 4000 non-removable mAh battery. Impressively. It also boasts a fast charging feature that allows it to charge faster than most other smartphones in its category. You can comfortably use the phone for hours before the battery runs out.
Samsung Galaxy A50: Things You Will Like About The Smartphone
- Excellent Display: Be sure of this, you will most likely fall in love with this smartphone’s display at first sight. Samsung are known to be the king of the smartphone world when it comes to displays and you wouldn’t expect anything less from one of their best mid-range smartphones in 2019 so far. The 6.4 inches is smart and large enough for you to enjoy almost all the gaming you can imagine. It also makes a great platform to watch movies.
- Pocket-Friendly: Given the amazing spec and scintillating features this smartphone boast, it is fair to say the price it goes for is very decent. Triple camera, lovely design, soft display, and appealing processor are enough to justify the price tag it goes for.
- Battery Capacity: While this may not sound interesting, Galaxy A50 boasts 4000 mAh battery capacity, one of the very best in its category. Considering the spec, you would not have so much to complain about. Also, it boasts fast charging features – Not a bad one for its category.
Samsung Galaxy A50: Things May Not Like About The Smartphone
- Camera not so Great in Low Light: While the triple camera is exceptional with light, it does not do so well with low light. Do not expect the same effect, clarity, and sharpness of the image in low light as you’d most likely be disappointed. Does the outstanding triple camera make up for this? You decide.
- Average Gaming Performance: The screen is superb for gaming, no doubt, but the performance is quite questionable. You might not enjoy highly efficient games on the phone as it could be slow and frustrating.