Glucometers are also referred to as glucose meters. Even though they are quite small, they are very sophisticated. All they need is a drop of blood and they present you with details about your blood sugar.
These items are very portable and easy to slip in your bag or pocket and move around. The question that begs an answer is, “how much do glucometers cost in South Africa?” We will provide you with an answer to this question as we discuss the prices of glucometers in South Africa in this post.
Prices of Glucometers in South Africa
There are several brands of glucometers on the South African market. Each one comes with its peculiarities. In this section, we will show you the most popular glucometers on the market as well as their prices.
- One-Touch Ultra2 Blood Glucose Meter Monitoring System with Case – R$252 – R$288
- Embrace TALK Blood Glucose Meter System – R$144 – R$180
- TRUE Metrix Glucose Test Strips 50 CT+ FREE Meter KIT,100 Lancets, Lancing Device – R$324 – R$378
- Embrace No-Code Talking Blood Glucose Meter System – R$144 – R$216
- Relion prime blood glucose meter – R$198 – R$234
- Prodigy Blood Glucose Test Strips 50 Qty plus meter – R$288 – R$324
- Contour Next EZ Blood Meter Glucose Monitoring System Starter Kit monitor – R$116 – R$152
- One-touch ultra glucose meter – R$180 – R$216
- Accu-Chek Nano Smartview Blood Glucose Monitor Replacement Meter SEALED w Case – R$368 – R$404
- Blood Glucose Meter Kit Contour Next Wireless, Free App Available – R$123 – R$159
- Fantastik Accu Blood Glucose Meter + 10 Free Strips + 10 Free Lancet – R$130 – N,4000
- Blood Glucose Monitor Glucometer Blood Sugar Diabetes Tester Kit + 50 Test Strips Lancets Needles – R$360 – R$396
- Fine test Autocoding Blood Glucose Monitor With 25 Free Strips – R$900 – R$1,008
- RapidCheck Kiptrack 2 In 1 Blood Glucose & Blood Pressure Monitor – R$828 – R$900
- SpeedGUC Multi-function Glucose, Cholesterol Uric Acid Meter – R$882 – R$936
- Accu-Answer Sugar/Cholesterol/Haemoglobin/Uric Acid Test Machine – R$828 – R$900
- Blood Glucose Meter Diabetes Test Kit Glucometer Test Strips Lancets Blood Sugar Tester – R$288 – R$324
- Sinocare Safe-Accu Blood Glucose Meter 100 Strips/Lancet – R$234 – R$278
- Yuwell 740 Blood Sugar Diabetes Tester Glucometer Meter Monitor – R$342 – R$396
- Motech DIY- Memory/Voice Broadcast Digital BP Monitor – R$576 – R$648
- Blood Sugar Monitor Safe Blood Glucose Diabetes Tester Glucometer Medical – R$270 – R$306
Who needs a Glucometer?
As we mentioned above, a glucometer is quite sophisticated even though it is small and very portable. The question then is, “who needs a glucometer?” Any person that needs to test their blood glucose levels needs a glucometer. This includes people suffering from:
- Type 1 diabetes
- Type 2 diabetes
- Gestational diabetes during pregnancy
- Latent autoimmune diabetes among adults
If you fall into this category, you need to purchase a glucometer as soon as possible. Here’s what a glucometer will help you to achieve:
- Check the level of your blood sugar so that you can control it.
- Recognize how your blood glucose responds to certain exercises and stress patterns.
- Assess your performance in meeting set treatment goals.
- Monitor the effects of certain diabetic medications and therapies.
- Recognize patterns so that you know when you will have a glucose crash or spike.
Using a Glucometer
Buying a glucometer is one thing, knowing how to use it properly is another. In this section, we will show you how to do this. The first thing to know is that many of the instruction manuals that come with glucometers are pretty self-explanatory. However, the guidelines below should make it easy for you to use your glucometer.
Here are some of the items you need to get the best of your glucometer:
- Test strip
- Alcohol prep pad
Now, follow these instructions to use your glucometer:
- Set out all the items that you need on the table.
- Wash your hands or clean them with an alcohol swab.
- Warm your hands to facilitate blood flow. You can do this by rubbing them together quickly or putting them under warm water.
- Turn the device on then place the test strip inside the machine. Check the indicator before you place the blood on the test strip.
- Dry your hands and allow the alcohol to evaporate.
- Pierce your fingertip to get a drop of blood.
- Now, place the blood on the strip or by the side.
- Allow the glucometer to come up with the reading.
- Write down your results.
There you have it for the prices of glucometers in South Africa. We have also taught you how to use these sophisticated pieces of equipment to get the best results.