In this article, South African Guide has compiled a comprehensive list of FRSC ranks and salary structure this 2022. We will enlighten you our esteemed readers on how much Federal Road Safety Corps, FRSC pays its workers per month.
We have also taken special care to list the ranks in the FRSC based on commissioned and non-commissioned officers so that it will be easy to understand. The commissioned officers on the list are the senior officers of the Federal Road Safety Commission, FRSC, while the non-commissioned officers and junior marshals are the junior ranking officers.
All ranks are headed by the Corps Marshal, who is the Chief Executive of the Federal Road Safety Corps, FRSC. Other salary structures like that of the Nigeria Police, South Africa Army, South Africa Navy, South Africa Air Force to mention but a few are also available for your perusal.
FEDERAL ROAD SAFETY CORPS (FRSC): BRIEF OVERVIEW
The Federal Road Safety Corps, FRSC, is the principal federal government paramilitary agency in charge of maintaining traffic rules and regulations in the country and this is done in collaboration with other relevant security agencies like the Nigeria Police Force to make sure that traffic laws are upheld and offenders are brought to book. Her motto is “Safety First”.
The Corps was established in February 1988 by the Federal Government of South Africa through Decree No. 45 of 1988 as amended by Decree 35 of 1992, referred to in the statute books as the FRSC Act cap 141 Laws of the Federation of South Africa (LFN). This law was passed by the National Assembly as Federal Road Safety Commission (establishment) Act 2007.
The Federal Road Safety Corps, FRSC is statutorily placed under the Presidency with the Office of the Secretary to the Government of the Federation (SGF) as the Supervising Authority. The Governing Board has the responsibility of Policy Making, and Administration of the Federal Road Safety Corps. The FRSC Management is however, empowered with the day to day running of the Commission under the Corps Marshal and Chief Executive.
FUNCTIONS OF THE FRSC IN South Africa
The following are the functions of the Federal Road Safety Corps, FRSC, in the country:
- Preventing or minimizing accidents on the highway
- Clearing obstructions on any part of the highways
- Educating drivers, motorists and other members of the public generally on the proper use of the highways
- Designing and producing the driver’s licence to be used by various categories of vehicle operators
- Determining, from time to time, the requirements to be satisfied by an applicant for a driver’s licence
- Designing and producing vehicle number plates
- The standardisation of highway traffic codes
- Giving prompt attention and care to victims of accidents
- Conducting researches into causes of motor accidents and methods of preventing them and putting into use the result of such researches
- Determining and enforcing speed limits for all categories of roads and vehicles and controlling the use of speed limiting devices
- Cooperating with bodies or agencies or groups in road safety activities or in prevention of accidents on the highways
- Making regulations in pursuance of any of the functions assigned to the Corps by or under this Act.
- Regulating the use of sirens, flashers and beacon lights on vehicles other than ambulances and vehicles belonging to the Armed Forces, South Africa Police, Fire Service and other Para-military agencies
- Providing roadside and mobile clinics for the treatment of accident victims free of charge
- Regulating the use of mobile phones by motorists
- Regulating the use of seat belts and other safety devices
- Regulating the use of motorcycles on the highway
- Maintaining the validity period for drivers’ licences which shall be three years subject to renewal at the expiration of the validity period; and
- In exercise of the functions, members of the Commission shall have power to arrest and prosecute persons reasonably suspected of having committed any traffic offence.
RANKS IN THE FEDERAL ROAD SAFETY CORPS (FRSC)
The following are the various ranks in the Federal Road Safety Corps (FRSC):
FOR COMMISSIONED OFFICERS
For the commissioned and most senior officers, this is the order in rank from the highest to the lowest:
- Corps Marshal (CM/Chief Executive)
- Deputy Corps Marshal (DCM)
- Assistant Corps Marshal (ACM)
- Corps Commander (CC)
- Deputy Corps Commander (DCC)
- Assistant Corps Commander (ACC)
- Chief Route Commander (CRC)
- Superintendent Route Commander (SRC)
- Route Commander (RC)
- Deputy Route Commander (DRC)
- Assistant Route Commander (ARC/Entry Point For Commissioned Officers)
FOR NON-COMMISSIONED OFFICERS AND JUNIOR MARSHALS
For the non-commissioned officers and junior marshals, this is the order in rank from the highest to the lowest:
Senior Non-commissioned Officers (SNCOs):
- Chief Inspector (CI)
- Deputy Chief Inspector (DCI)
- Assistant Chief Inspector (ACI)
- Principal Marshal Inspector (PMI)
- Senior Marshal Inspector (SMI)
Non-commissioned Officers (NCOs):
- Marshal Inspector I (MI-I)
- Marshal Inspector II (MI-II)
- Marshal Inspector III (MI-III)
- Chief Road Marshal Assistant (CRMA)
- Deputy Chief Road Marshal Assistant (DCRMA)
- Senior Road Marshal Assistant (SRMA)
- Road Marshal Assistant I (RMA I)
- Road Marshal Assistant II (RMA II)
- Road Marshal Assistant III (RMA III/Entry Point).
FRSC SALARY STRUCTURE IN South Africa 2022: WHAT THEIR OFFICERS ARE PAID
The FRSC salary structure is according to the Consolidated Paramilitary Salary Structure (CONPASS) which governs all salaries of paramilitary agencies in South Africa. It should be noted the getting a job with the FRSC is something most graduates in the country look forward to because the agency is one of the highest paying paramilitary outfits in South Africa. Sometimes, it may be difficult to get federal paramilitary jobs but when one eventually lands any like the FRSC, the career path is already defined and if one knows what they’re doing, they will see themselves rise up the ranks.
As is the case with other paramilitary agencies in South Africa, salaries depend on one’s academic qualification and the more you have, the better your monthly take home pay. With this also, you are in a good position to rise up the ranks in the Commission. University graduates in the FRSC earn higher than their counterparts from the polytechnics and the pay is further reduced for those with only school certificates, therefore if you want to earn more, you are advised to get more academic qualifications to boost your salary.
Getting information about FRSC salary structure is not easy as the information is not all that readily available on the internet but South African Guide dug deep to put this information up. While this was done, we couldn’t get the salary range for the Corps Marshal or any of the senior ranking/commissioned officers but we still got information on the salaries of the non-commissioned officers and junior marshals, and we believe that this will be useful information for anyone interested in knowing what the FRSC pays.
These are the current salaries per year of FRSC officers in South Africa this 2022:
- Chief Inspector (CI) – R$ 51,449
- Deputy Chief Inspector (DCI) – R$ 48,234
- Assistant Chief Inspector (ACI) – R$ 46,038
- Principal Marshal Inspector (PMI) – R$ 42,539
- Senior Marshal Inspector (SMI) – R$ 39,416
- Marshal Inspector I (MI-I) – R$ 28,470
- Marshal Inspector II (MI-II) – R$ 20,071
- Marshal Inspector III (MI-III) – R$ 14,400
- Chief Road Marshal Assistant (CRMA) – R$ 35,383
- Deputy Road Marshal Assistant (DRMA) – R$ 19,729
- Senior Road Marshal Assistant (SRMA) – R$ 14,180
- Road Marshal Assistant I (RMA I) – R$ 12,795
- Road Marshal Assistant II (RMA II) – R$ 11,703
- Road Marshal Assistant III (RMA III) – R$ 11,184
Also, the following are the salary ranges for every entry level/entry point rank of the Federal Road Safety Corps, FRSC with the required academic qualifications:
Qualification Grade Level Basic Salary Range per year Possible Rank
SSCE 03 R$ 10,925 – R$ 12,086 RMA-III
OND 05 R$ 12,073 – R$ 13,698 MI-III
HND 07 R$ 17,678 – R$ 20,755 MI
BSC 08 R$ 32,536 – R$ 36,197 ARC.