In this article we shall be discussing about the current prices of solar inverters in South Africa this 2022. A solar inverter is simply defined as an electrical converter that converts the uneven direct current (DC) output of a solar panel into an alternating current (AC). This alternating current (AC) is then used for different applications like powering electrical appliances in the home or workplace. To know more about the cost of solar energy installation in South Africa, kindly click the link provided.
WORKING PRINCIPLE OF A SOLAR INVERTER
Solar inverters work by taking in the variable direct current (DC) output, from solar panels mounted at rooftops of your homes or workplaces, transforming this DC current into 120V/240V alternating current (AC) output. The direct current is converted to alternating current because home appliances run on AC, and not DC, and this is the reason why solar inverters convert the DC output that is collected via solar panels.
When the sun shines down on your solar panels which are also known as photovoltaic (PV) cells, characterised by semiconductor layers of crystalline silicon or gallium arsenide that are a combination of both positive and negative layers connected by a junction, the semiconductor layers absorb the radiant energy of the sun and sends this energy to the PV cell. The radiant energy from the sun then runs around and bumps electrons lose, moving between the positive and negative layers, eventually producing electric current known as direct current (DC).
Once this energy is generated, it is either stored in a solar battery for future use or is directly sent to an inverter depending on the type of system you have. As the energy is sent to your solar inverter in DC format, the inverter then transforms this DC into AC which your home appliances can comfortably use for their workability.
TYPES OF SOLAR INVERTERS
The following are the different types of solar inverters that are available today in no particular order. They are:
Battery inverters are your best bet if you are looking to fit a battery into your solar energy system, or you want to keep your battery separate to your solar panels and run it through a different inverter. A battery inverter converts your battery power into 230V AC and feeds it into your switchboard instead of grid power wherever possible. What battery-based inverters do, is to convert direct current (DC) from batteries into alternating current (AC) at the right voltage and frequency to operate lights, electrical appliances or anything else that normally operates on electricity supplied by the utility grid.
Central inverters are very large inverters that are used for systems that require hundreds of kilowatts or even sometimes megawatts of volume. They are not designed for residential use and they look like a large metal cabinet. Central inverters are generally designed for commercial or large-scale installations.
Hybrid inverters combine a solar inverter, battery charger and battery inverter together in a simple all-in-one unit along with clever software that can be programmed to determine the most efficient use of your available energy.
A microinverter is a solar inverter that converts power at the solar panel from direct current (DC) to 240V alternating current (AC) electricity and it is attached to each panel in a solar energy system. It is quite different from a conventional string inverter that is connected to a series or “string” of solar panels and converts the power from Direct Current (DC) in to Alternating Current (AC) electricity for the solar energy system in general.
Finally, we have string solar inverters. A string inverter is the most common type of solar inverter used in home and commercial solar power systems. String inverters are connected with a string of solar panels, which is called the solar array. A typical solar array is made up of around fifteen (15) solar panels of 250W each.
CURRENT PRICES OF SOLAR INVERTERS IN South Africa 2022
The following are the current prices of select brands of solar inverters in South Africa this 2022:
- 2KVA BLUEGATE 24V Solar Inverter costs between the price range of R$ 2,562 – R$ 2,745
- Novel Solar 1KVA Pure Sine Wave Inverter currently costs between the price range of R$ 2,745 – R$ 2,928
- 200AH 12V GLT Solar Inverter costs between the price range of R$ 2,928 – R$ 3,111
- 2.4 KVA Solar Inverter 24V costs between the price range of R$ 2,269 – R$ 2,489
- 1400VA 1.4KVA Hybrid Solar Power Inverter UPS (All In One) currently costs between the price range of R$ 2,196 – R$ 2,379
- 500 Watts Inverter +150 Watt Solar Panel + 40Ah 12V Battery currently costs between the price range of R$ 3,623 – R$ 3,843
- 1500VA 1.5KVA Hybrid Solar Power Inverter UPS Pure Sine costs between the price range of R$ 2,928 – R$ 3,111 in South Africa today
- 5KVA Solar Power Inverter System costs between the price range of R$ 102,480 – R$ 109,800
- Solar N Inverter Power Energy costs between the price range of R$ 5,490 – R$ 7,320
- 130W Solar Panel + 500W Inverter + 100Ah Battery + 30A Charge Controller costs between the price range of R$ 4,319 – R$ 4,575
- 800VA Solar Inverter With 40 Amp Mppt Charge Controller Inbuilt costs between the price range of R$ 2,928 – R$ 3,294
- 2KVA Solar Inverter With Batteries, Solar Panels and Installation costs between the price range of R$ 7,320 – R$ 9,882
- Luminous 1.5KVA/24v Solar Hybrid Inverter costs between the price range of R$ 3,733 – R$ 3,843 in South Africa today
- 300W Portable Solar Inverter Generator costs between the price range of R$ 4,758 – R$ 5,490
- 2.7KVA Inverter With Full Solar Energy System costs between the price range of R$ 12,810 – R$ 14,640
- 5KVA Inverter With Full Solar Energy System costs between the price range of R$ 29,280 – R$ 37,000
- 1000W Power Inverter +2 12V/100Ah Batteries + Solar Panels costs between the price range of R$ 10,797 – R$ 10,980
- 1000W Portable Solar Power Inverter +12V/100Ah Battery + Solar Panels costs between the price range of R$ 5,856 – R$ 7,320 in South Africa today.