In this article, we shall be discussing about the current cost of sewing machines in South Africa 2022. As a fashion designer or a tailor, it is very important to know the cost of sewing machines in South Africa so that you can put up a budget that will enable you buy your most important work tool which is your tailoring device. There are different prices and for different machines out there, you will get to know all these and more as we continue in this article.
A sewing machine is an equipment that is used to join pieces of cloth or fabric together with a needle that is operated either by manually turning a handle or by using electricity. Without this device, fashion designing will not be complete.
As aforementioned, there are different types of sewing machines and they are produced based on the choice of the tailor or their budget. All of these different types of sewing equipment will surely give you the desired result which is to put together really amazing designs.
However, the manner in which they operate differ a bit. While some sewing machines will help you finish your work in record time, others will take a little while longer to get you to the finish line. Like they say, different strokes for different folks.
DIFFERENT TYPES OF SEWING MACHINES IN South Africa
Presently, there are five major types of sewing machines that are available in the South African market. These include:
- Mechanical/Hand Sewing Machine
- Electronic/Electrical Sewing Machine
- Computerized Sewing Machine
- Embroidery Sewing Machine
- Overlock Sewing Machine or Serger.
HAND/MANUAL SEWING MACHINE
The hand or manual sewing machine as the name implies is operated manually and it is mostly used by beginners. This particular type of sewing machine is the most common in the country and almost every tailoring shop does business with it. One reason why this is so is because it is less expensive than the other types and it does not require electricity; and can be operated without the fear of having to stop, start due to the epileptic power supply.
ELECTRIC/ELECTRONIC SEWING MACHINE
Electric/Electronic sewing machine is more advanced than the manual sewing machine. It is more expensive and does your work efficiently using electricity. They are used by sewing professionals to get their job done easily and faster too.
As long as you can afford it, go for it and in order to cancel out NEPA issues, try to get a really good standby generator and fuel in place that can serve as an alternative to electricity should NEPA strike.
COMPUTERIZED SEWING MACHINE
Computerized sewing machines are very advanced types of sewing machines that only highly skilled fashion designers can operate. These sewing machines are controlled by an in-built computer system that makes sewing easy as possible.
EMBROIDERY SEWING MACHINE
This type of sewing machine is used to make embroidery patterns and designs on fabrics. Most electronic sewing machines can be used for embroidering and to achieve this, an embroidering presser foot can be attached to the machine.
They are more expensive than the manual sewing machines and more efficient as well. Professional fashion designers use these machines for their work as well.
OVERLOCK SEWING MACHINE
Overlock sewing machine is used for joining or sewing the edges of a material together. It is used by professional fashion designers to give the finishing look for the garments.
Most garment making companies use this machine for edging the fabrics like edging napkins, elastic Hemming or elastic seaming in lingerie designing, edging curtains, overlocking on pillow covers, to mention but a few.
Other types of sewing machines in South Africa include:
- Fast Seam Sewing Machine
- Furriery Sewing Machine
- Industrial Sewing Machine
- Mini/Portable Sewing Machine
COST OF SEWING MACHINES IN South Africa 2022
The following are the current prices of sewing machines in South Africa this 2022 based on the type of the particular sewing machine:
PRICE OF DOMESTIC SEWING MACHINES
- Butterfly Domestic Sewing Machine (Big Table): R$ 1,354 – R$ 1,464
- Butterfly Domestic Sewing Machine (Small Table): R$ 1,244 – R$ 1,354
- Twolion Domestic Sewing Machine (Big Table ): R$ 1,244 – R$ 1,354
- Twolion Domestic Sewing Machine (small table): R$ 1,171 – R$ 1,281
- Butterfly Multi-stitch Portable Sewing Machine (8190): R$ 1,171 – R$ 1,281.
PRICE OF INDUSTRIAL SEWING MACHINES
- Twolion Direct-drive Industrial Sewing Machine: R$ 4,758
- Twolion Industrial Straight Sewing Machine: R$ 2,745 – R$ 2,928
- Hudong Industrial Straight Sewing Machine: R$ 2,928 – R$ 3,111
- Sumo Premium Industrial Straight Machine: R$ 2,745 – R$ 2,928
- Emel Industrial Straight Sewing Machine: R$ 3,111 – R$ 3,294
- Brother Industrial Straight Sewing (Used): R$ 2,196 – R$ 2,379.
PRICE OF OVERLOCK SEWING MACHINES
- Hudong Direct-drive Overlock Machine: R$ 5,124
- Twolion 3-thread Overlock Sewing Machine: R$ 3,477 – R$ 3,660
- Hudong 3-thread Overlock Sewing Machine: R$ 3,477 – R$ 3,660
- Emel 3-thread Overlock Sewing Machine: R$ 3,660 – R$ 4,026
- Twolion 4-thread Overlock Sewing Machine: R$ 3,587 – R$ 3,843
- Hudong 4-thread Overlock Sewing Machine: R$ 3,587 – R$ 3,843
- Emel 4-thread Overlock Sewing Machine: R$ 3,843 – R$ 4,026
- Twolion 5-thread Overlock Sewing Machine: R$ 3,660 – R$ 4,026
THINGS TO LOOK OUT FOR BEFORE BUYING A SEWING MACHINE
Before you purchase your sewing machine, you should have it at the back of your mind that the higher the price of the machine, the better the quality, no cheap machine will do the work of an expensive and high quality one.
It is also very necessary that you go for a machine with a vertical shuttle instead of a horizontal shuttle. The reason is that vertical shuttle tends to last longer than horizontal shuttle. Finally, there are brands that are better than others, ensure that you know beforehand which is which before you buy your sewing machine to avoid any regrets later.