Artificial grass has become quite common these days. You will find it outside residential and commercial buildings as well as in stadiums and other sports arenas. Many South Africans even use artificial grass to decorate inside their homes.
Artificial grass is a synthetic material that is made from man-made fibres that resemble real grass. How much does it cost to purchase artificial grass in South Africa? What are the advantages of using artificial grass on your property? We will answer these questions and several others in this post so grab some coffee and a seat and continue reading.
Cost of Artificial Grass in South Africa
There are different varieties of artificial grass in South Africa so it is difficult to state a fixed price for this product. Several factors contribute to the determination of the price of artificial grass in South Africa. Some of these factors include:
- Quality of the grass
- Brand of the grass
- Size of the grass
That being said, we have surveyed the market on your behalf to find out the most popular products and their prices per size. We have put all of them in the list below:
- Bahamas Artificial Grass Turf (50 mm): R$306 –R$360
- Bahamas Artificial Grass Turf (40 mm): R$252 – R$306
- Bahamas Artificial Grass Turf (35 mm): R$234 – R$252
- Bahamas Artificial Grass Turf (30 mm): R$198 – R$227
- Bahamas Artificial Grass Turf (10 mm): R$126 – R$144
- Bahamas Artificial Grass Turf (20 mm): R$162 – R$180
- Bahamas Artificial Grass Turf (15 mm): R$144 – R$162
- Bahamas Artificial Grass Turf (25 mm): R$180 – R$198
- Beautiful Artificial Grass (10 mm): R$108 – R$126
- Beautiful Artificial Grass (15 mm): R$126 – R$144
- Beautiful Artificial Grass (20 mm): R$162 – R$173
- Beautiful Artificial Grass (25 mm): R$173 – R$191
- Beautiful Artificial Grass (30 mm): R$198 – R$216
- Beautiful Artificial Grass (35 mm): R$234 – R$252
- Beautiful Artificial Grass (40 mm): R$252 – R$270
- Beautiful Artificial Grass (45 mm): R$306 – R$342
- Child and Pet-Friendly Artificial Grass (50 mm): R$306 – NR$324
- Child and Pet-Friendly Artificial Grass (25 mm): R$173 – R$180
- Child and Pet-Friendly Artificial Grass (20 mm): R$162 – R$173
- Child and Pet-Friendly Artificial Grass (15 mm): R$144 – R$162
- Child and Pet-Friendly Artificial Grass (10 mm): R$126 – R$144
- Artificial Green Grass Area Rug (Perfect Color/Sizing for Indoor and Outdoor Use): R$162 – R$198
- Artificial Lawn 3.3 inches x 5 inches Artificial Green Grass (Indoor/Outdoor Landscape Pet Area): R$162 – R$216
- Tamera Artificial Solid Grass Design Turf: R$360 – R$360 – R$432
- Realistic Indoor/Outdoor Artificial Grass/Turf: R$360 – R$468
Note that the prices of these products may change frequently due to several factors. Some of these factors include government policies, import duties, company policies, and seasonal celebrations. However, we will update this post once we notice any price changes. Now that you know the prices of different artificial grasses, let’s dive into their pros and cons.
Pros of Artificial Grass
Artificial grass is very similar to natural grass in looks. We use them to cover the surface of our yards, the spaces outside our homes, and some parts of the interior. They are mostly used for aesthetic purposes as well as to cover the surface of sports areas.
Artificial grass has been in use for several decades and they have come a long way since they were first introduced. They present us with a viable solution to water conservation issues. Artificial grass also protects us and our environment from the harmful effects of fertilizers and pesticides. Below are a few pros of installing artificial grass:
- Artificial grass remains attractive all through the year, unlike natural grass that loses colour in the dry season.
- Saves time and effort since there is no need to water artificial grass.
- Artificial grasses don’t need fertilizers or pesticides to keep looking good so they protect us and our environment.
- There is no need to trim, cut, or mow artificial grass.
- They don’t develop patchy spots that affect natural grass resulting from pest damage and wear and tear.
- Installation of artificial grass is pretty quick and doesn’t require much effort.
Cons of Artificial Grass
There is almost nothing that exists with advantages that don’t have disadvantages, no matter how few. We have discussed a few pros of artificial grass above. In this section, we will show you a few cons of installing artificial grass:
- Artificial grass isn’t cheap which is why most people associate their use to affluent individuals.
- Installation of artificial grass comes at an extra cost.
- After installing artificial grass, you have to replace the antishock layer and infill material every few years.
- One of the materials used in making artificial grass, polyethene plastic, isn’t biodegradable. As such, you need to replace it every 15 to 25 years which is not great for our environment.
- Though it doesn’t require trimming, cutting, or mowing, it requires some form of maintenance such as sanitizing and sweeping. Without these, artificial grass is a great host for bacteria that can result in diseases to both humans and pets.
- Some of the materials used in making artificial grass are harmful to humans and the environment. A typical example is crumb rubber that is used as the infill material for the surface beneath the grass.
- Artificial grass heats up very quickly, faster than natural grass. This affects the air around the area making it hot and uncomfortable.
- Artificial grass is rougher than natural grass so it can cause rug burn.
- Installing artificial grass affects the vegetation beneath the turf. As such, it is almost impossible to return to using natural grass once you have installed artificial grass.
Is Artificial Grass a Great Option?
The answer to this question completely depends on what you do and your reason for installing the grass. Before you install this grass, check the location of your property and your budget. Also, look through the pros and cons that we stated above before making your decision.