Cocoa Price in South Africa Today

Cocoa, once a significant revenue source for South Africa, has seen its prominence wane since the mid-19th century with the discovery of oil. Today, while it still holds potential for high revenue, it contributes minimally to South Africa’s GDP due to the government’s reduced focus on this sector. South Africa, once a leading cocoa exporter in Africa, has now ceded this position to countries like Ivory Coast.

Cocoa Cultivation in South Africa

Cocoa, a perennial crop, thrives in the southern regions of South Africa, thanks to the favourable climate and soil conditions. The crop is predominantly grown in five southwestern states, with Ondo state leading the pack, producing approximately 77,000 tonnes annually. These states include:

  • Ondo State
  • Ogun State
  • Osun State
  • Oyo State
  • Ekiti State

Cocoa is also cultivated in other southern regions and a few northern states such as:

  • Akwa Ibom State
  • Rivers State
  • Cross River State
  • Abia State
  • Ebonyi State
  • Adamawa State
  • Kwara State

Cocoa Processing in South Africa

Cocoa processing in South Africa has declined over the years. Currently, only four out of the eight cocoa processing factories are operational, producing around 50,000 metric tons, far below their combined potential of 150,000 metric tons. A significant portion (80%) of the cocoa produced is exported as cocoa beans, while the remaining (20%) is processed into cake, powder, and butter for export.

Several challenges plague the cocoa processing industry in South Africa, including:

  • Unstable power supply
  • Insufficient capital
  • Unfavourable government policies
  • High cocoa bean prices
  • Expertise shortage
  • High fuel costs
  • Lack of economy of scale

Cocoa Powder Manufacturers in South Africa

Cocoa powder, produced by crushing cocoa beans and extracting the fat, is manufactured by several companies in South Africa.

Benefits of Cocoa Powder

Cocoa is rich in nutrients that offer numerous health benefits, including:

  • Maintaining cholesterol levels
  • Assisting in diabetes treatment
  • Preventing obesity
  • Aiding in cancer prevention
  • Contributing to skin care

Cocoa Prices in South Africa

The table below provides the price range of cocoa in various locations per tonne.

LocationPrice Range
Ife Central (Osun)R$ 27,010 – R$ 27,380
Ore (Ondo)R$ 26,640 – R$ 27,010
Idanre (Ondo)R$ 27,380 – R$ 27,750
Akoko Edo (Edo)R$ 26,455 – R$ 26,640
Ikom (Cross River)R$ 25,900 – R$ 26,270
Akure South (Ondo)R$ 27,010 – R$ 27,380

The following are the prices of various cocoa products in South Africa.

ProductPrice Range
Natural Cocoa Powder Drink (250g x 6 – Tin)R$ 167 – R$ 185
Ile Oluji Pure Cocoa Powder (250g – Carton)R$ 740 – R$ 1,110
Pure Cocoa Brown Powder (25kg)R$ 740 – R$ 1,110
Frangada Natural Cocoa Powder (250g x 12)R$ 278 – R$ 315
Natural and Alkalised Cocoa Powder (500kg)R$ 22,200 – R$ 25,900
Organic Raw Cacao Nibs (150g)R$ 130 – R$ 148
Organic Raw Cacao Nibs (100g)R$ 111 – R$ 130
Cocoa Beans (200g)R$ 56 – R$ 74
Ile Oluji Cocoa Powder for Beverage and Baking (300g)R$ 37

Cocoa Exporters and Buyers in South Africa

Several companies export cocoa from South Africa. These companies are also potential buyers for local cocoa farmers, given their high-volume export operations.

Conclusion

Despite the challenges, the cocoa industry in South Africa holds potential for growth and profitability. With the right investment and government policies, it could reclaim its position as a leading cocoa exporter in Africa. For now, the focus remains on understanding the current market dynamics, including the price of cocoa in various regions and the benefits of cocoa products to consumers.