For a camera launched over a decade ago, it is amazing to see the Canon 5D Mark II still very much talked about and relevant to date. The camera’s top-notch qualities make it a reasonable and cheaper alternatives to many other newer and more expensive camera options available in the market today. Canon has always been praised for manufacturing standout products and the Canon Mark series only shows why they are among the very best in the industry.
This post takes a look at how much the Canon 5D Mark II goes for in South Africa today and some of its key specs.
Canon 5D Mark II price in South Africa
The Canon 5D Mark II is not the most common Canon camera in the market today. Considering the fact that it was launched over a decade ago, the availability is now quite limited in the market. A brand new Canon 5D Mark II can still be purchased for anything between R$23,400 and N1.250, 000 depending on the type of lens accompanying the camera.
The variation in the prices is as a result of some certain factors which include the place and period of purchase. The currency exchange rate at the period also affect the price the camera goes for. Canon 5D Mark II can still be purchased from various Canon stores across the country. For ease, they can also be purchased from various ecommerce stores within and outside the country.
Canon 5D mark II key features
- Image sensor: 36 x 24 mm CMOS sensor with R$792,000 photosites (21.1 megapixels effective)
- Lens mount: Canon EF (but not EF-S lenses)
- Image processor: DiG!C 4
- Image formats: Stills – JPEG, RAW (14-bit Canon original), RAW+JPEG supported; Video – MOV (Video: H.264, Audio: Linear PCM)
- Image Sizes: Stills ““ JPEG: 5616 x 3744, 4080 x 2720, 2784 x 1856; RAW: 5616 x 3744; sRAW1: 3861 x 2574; sRAW2: 2784 x 1856; Movies ““ HD: 1920 x 1080 (16:9), SD: 640 x 480 (4:3) both at 30 fps
- Shutter speed range: 1/8000 sec. to 30 sec., bulb (Total shutter speed range. Available range varies by shooting mode.); X-sync at 1/200 sec.
- Exposure Compensation: ±2 stops in 1/3- or 1/2-stop increments; manual and AEB
- Focus system: TTL secondary image-registration, phase detection AF with 9 selectable AF points plus 6 Assist AF points; AF Microadjustment possible; AF-assist light requires EOS-dedicated external Speedlite
- Focus modes: One-Shot AF, AI Servo AF, AI Focus AF, Manual focusing (MF)
- Exposure metering: 35-zone TTL full-aperture metering with Evaluative (linkable to any AF point), centre-weighted average, partial (approx. 8% of viewfinder at centre) and spot (approx. 3.5% of viewfinder at centre) modes
- Shooting modes: Program AE (Full Auto, Creative Auto, Program), shutter-priority AE, aperture-priority AE, manual exposure, bulb exposure
- Picture Style/Control settings: Standard, Portrait, Landscape, Neutral, Faithful, Monochrome, User Defined 1 – 3
- Custom functions: 25 plus three user memory banks
- ISO range: Full Auto, Creative Auto: ISO 100 – 3200 set automatically; P, Tv, Av, M, B: ISO 100 – 6400 (in 1/3-stop increments); settable, Auto, or expandable to ISO 50 (L), ISO 12800 (H1), or ISO 25600 (H2)
- White balance: Auto, Preset (Daylight, Shade, Cloudy, Tungsten light, White fluorescent light, Flash), Custom, Color temperature setting (2500-10000K); White balance correction and white balance bracketing features provided
- Sequence shooting: approx. 3.9 shots/sec.; JPEG Large/Fine: Approx. 78 shots,
- RAW: 13 shots, RAW+JPEG Large/Fine: Approx. 8 shots (higher buffer capacities available with UDMA cards)
- Storage Media: CompactFlash Types I & II (2GB or higher), UDMA-compatible
- Viewfinder: Eye-level pentaprism with 98% frame coverage; Approx. 0.71x magnification (-1 m-1 with 50mm lens at infinity); Approx. 21 mm eyepoint; dioptric adjustment -3.0 – +1.0 m-1 (dpt); interchangeable focusing screens (Eg-A standard focusing screen provided)
- LCD monitor:0-inch TFT colour LCD with approx. 920,000 dots (VGA)
- Live View shooting: Available for still photo and movie shooting; Modes: Quick mode (Phase-difference detection); Live mode, Live face detection mode (Contrast detection)
- Playback functions: Single, Single + Info (Image-recording quality, shooting information, histogram), 4-image index, 9-image index, image rotate possible; Playback zoom: 1.5x to 10x; jump by 10 or 100 images, jump by screen, by shooting date, by folder, by movie, by stills; highlight alert; histogram; movie playback enabled (LCD monitor, video/audio OUT, HDMI OUT)
- Interface terminals: USB 2.0 Hi-speed; 3.5mm dia. stereo mini jack (NTSC/PAL selectable); Type C HDMI mini OUT terminal, external microphone input (3.5mm stereo mini jack); remote control for N3 Type and wireless Remote Controller RC-1/RC-5; extension system terminal for connection to Wireless File Transmitter WFT-E4/E4A
- Power supply: Battery Pack LP-E6 ( CIPA rated for approx. 850 shots/charge with viewfinder shooting, approx 200 shots with live view)
Canon 5D Mark II: What you will like about the camera
- The camera dons crisp visuals when shooting in burst mode
- Another standout feature of the Canon 5D Mark II camera is that it features full video capabilities and delivers in absolute quality.
- The camera also has great battery life. It can last up to 24 hour when fully charged.
- There is also an inbuilt cleaning system that helps keep dust away from the sensors.
- Canon 5D Mark II has a brilliant LCD screen
- If you are looking for a camera that has outstanding JPG compression, then this camera is a great option.
Canon 5D Mark II: What you may not like about the camera
- There is no autofocus illuminator here.
- The images get quite noisy when shooting in low light conditions.