Babies have thinner skins than adults. Because of this, their skin tends to lose moisture very quickly. Once the skin becomes dry, it is itchy, irritating, discomforting, and could lead to rashes. To avoid all of this, it is best to invest in a baby lotion.
This brings us to the question, what is the best baby lotion in South Africa? We will look at this as well as the prices of these lotions in this post. Let’s dive straight in.
Prices of the Best Baby Lotions in South Africa
The South African market is filled with a plethora of baby lotions. What this means is that finding out which is the best can be very tasking. In truth, you can hardly point one of these products out as the best on the market. This is why we have brought you a list of products that you can consider. Check them and their prices out in the list below:
- Johnson’s Shea And Cocoa Butter Baby Lotion: ZAR$167 – ZAR$352
- Mothercare As Soft As Baby Lotion: ZAR$119 – ZAR$167
- Sebamed Baby Lotion: ZAR$186 – ZAR$463
- Aveeno Baby Lotion: ZAR$223 – ZAR$741
- Little Angels Baby Lotion: ZAR$93 – ZAR$371
PRICES LAST UPDATED: MARCH 21, 2022.
Note that the prices of these products are likely to change by the time you visit the market. There are several reasons behind such frequent changes in product prices. Some of them include economic forces, cost of raw materials, vendors, government policies, and location. We will update this post once we notice a price change.
Best Baby Lotions in South Africa
Here’s something that you should know before we discuss the different products on our list. What is great for one baby might not be perfect for yours. There are several factors that you must consider before choosing a baby lotion for your baby. Some of them include:
- Skin condition: The first criteria that determine what kind of baby lotion you purchase is your baby’s skin condition. What kind of skin does your baby have? Do you need the lotion to cure skin irritation? Your answer to these questions determines the kind of lotion that you need.
- Fragrances: The fragrance in the lotion determines what effect the lotion will have on your baby. For example, lavender seems to provide a calming effect which makes it perfect for night use. But if you notice that your baby has sensitive skin, it is best to stick to fragrance-free lotions.
- First ingredient: The first ingredient that you see on the ingredient list is the main ingredient in the lotion. This goes a long way to determine what the lotion provides your baby. For example, if it is oil, then it provides the baby’s skin protection while the water provides hydration.
Ensure that you pick your baby lotion based on these criteria. Now, let’s discuss each of the products on our list in more detail.
Johnson’s Shea And Cocoa Butter Baby Lotion
Johnson’s Shea and Cocoa Butter Baby Lotion is gentle on the skin. it is a mix of shea butter and cocoa as the name implies. This product promises 24-hour moisturizing of your baby’s skin. There are several other ingredients in this product, each one promising your baby radiant and supple skin.
There are several benefits to using Johnson’s Shea and Cocoa Butter Baby Lotion for your baby. Some of them include:
- It is free of parabens, dyes, and phthalates.
- Tested by both dermatologists and pediatricians.
- Enriched with cocoa and shea butter.
- Its mildness formula is clinically proven.
This product comes in different sizes and it promises to give your baby’s delicate skin 24-hour protection. You should apply Johnson’s Shea and Cocoa Butter Baby Lotion after a warm bath. Massage the product gently over the baby’s skin. You can also apply this product when you notice that your baby’s skin is dry.
Mothercare As Soft As Baby Lotion
As we mentioned above, a baby’s skin is thin and very delicate. What this means is that a baby’s skin is prone to infections, irritations, and other health risks. Mothercare understands this need and has prepared an amazing formula in the Mothercare As Soft As Baby Lotion.
This lotion caters to the skin needs of your baby 24 hours every day. All you need to do is massage this product over the skin of your baby after a warm bath. It promises to hydrate and moisturize your baby’s skin all day long. This product is paraben-free.
Sebamed Baby Lotion
Sebamed Baby Lotion contains natural lipids and has a pH of about 5.5. Most baby lotions have their pH at 7 or over. Also, they contain propylene glycol and parabens. All of these aren’t healthy for a baby’s skin.
Sebamed understands this and has eliminated all of these issues in the Sebamed Baby Lotion. Asides from the natural lipids in this product, it also contains sorbitol and lecithin. Both ingredients ensure that your baby’s skin enjoys hydration for longer periods.
One of the major advantages of Sebamed Baby Lotion is that it spreads easily. Another benefit of this product is that it doesn’t leave an oily film on the skin like most baby lotions. Using this product is pretty easy. Simply apply it over the skin after a warm bath by massaging it gently. The product is readily available at supermarkets.
Aveeno Baby Lotion
The Aveeno Baby Lotion is nourishing and non-greasy. It is made from dimethicone and natural colloidal oatmeal. These ingredients promise to moisturize your baby’s skin and protect it all day long.
Some of the benefits of this product include:
- Natural nourishment is designed to care for the baby’s skin.
- Moisturizes the skin daily.
- Contains dimethicone and natural colloidal oatmeal.
The application of this lotion is the same as all the other ones on this list. This product is readily available at supermarkets and departmental stores.
Little Angels Baby Lotion
This is the last product on our list and it is formulated specially to protect your baby’s skin and make it glow. It is mild on the skin and consistent use leaves your baby’s skin supple and smooth.
Little Angels Baby Lotion is paraben-free, dermatologically tested, approved by pediatricians, and hypoallergenic. It is also great for other members of the family.